Cook College Timeline
1766 – A Royal Charter Issued for
Queen’s College now Rutgers.
1825 - Named Rutgers College
after Col. Henry Rutgers.
1862 - Morrill
Act passed -- provided grants of federal lands
to states and territories agreeing to establish a public institution
for teaching of agriculture and mechanical arts.
1864 - Rutgers College named land-grant
college with departments in agriculture, engineering,
and chemistry. Rutgers was in competition with Princeton and
state Normal School at Trenton. George H. Cook led the fight
to have Rutgers named as the land-grant college.
- George H. Cook promoted to state geologist.
- New name given to the land-grant college -- Rutgers
- Rutgers College bought 98 acres of land just outside
New Brunswick for use as an experimental farm.
1880 - State
of New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station formed
-- Van Nest Hall became the first headquarters of the state
1887 - Hatch Act passed -- established federal
experiment stations at land-grant institutions.
1889 - New Jersey Hall completed, first
experiment station laboratory building.
George H. Cook dies.
1906 - Short Course Building completed --
now Waller Hall.
Round House, a stock judging pavilion built
near College Pond (now Passion Puddle.) In 1923 it was moved
to present location on College Farm Road.
1911 - Jacob Lipman succeeds Dr. Edward B. Voorhees
as director of the experiment station.
Lipman becomes first dean of agriculture
in 1915, serves until 1939.
1912 - The Cook family farm on Ryders Lane
A fireproof horse barn is built on College Farm.
1914 - Smith-Lever
Act is passed -- established the Cooperative
Extension Service at each land-grant institution.
1914 - Administration Building built --
now Martin Hall.
1917 – New Jersey legislature designates
the Rutgers Scientific School, also called the State
College of Agriculture, as the State University of
1917- Frank Helyar served as director of
short courses until 1929.
1921 - Horticulture Building is finished
-- now ‘old Blake Hall.’
Poultry Building built -- now Thompson Hall.
The Trustees formally creates the College of Agriculture
and established a board of managers to oversee operations.
1922 - Dairy and Animal Husbandry Building
built -- now Bartlett Hall.
National Chapter of Alpha Zeta fraternity was
1924 – Rutgers College assumes the
name of Rutgers University. The College of Agriculture
remains a distinct unit.
1929 - Frank Helyar was made director of
resident instruction, served in that capacity until 1953.
1933-35 - Civilian Conservation Camp (CCC)
was built and opened on College Farm Road, on the site of
the existing Bioresource Engineering Campus.
Many of the existing wooden buildings were part of that complex.
1933 - College of Agriculture Acquires Reckitts
Blueing Factory, now J.B. Smith Hall, on
- NJAES was incorporated into the New Jersey State
- Legislature appropriated funds for Soil Sciences
Building, now Lipman Hall.
1936 - The Log Cabin was
built by WPA labor (an FDR era welfare program). Plans were
brought from Maine by William Martin -- a Maine fishing lodge.
1939 - William H. Martin became dean.
to 1960's - All programs at the College of Agriculture
required 150-160 or more credits for graduation.
1945 - Rutgers University, not just the
College of Agriculture, achieves gains state university
1952 - Soil Science Building -- Lipman Hall,
1956 - Rutgers gains full status as the
State University of New Jersey.
1959 - Blake Hall and addition to Poultry
Building, now Thompson Hall dedicated.
- William Martin steps down as dean.
- Ordway Starnes named as acting dean.
- Mason Gross becomes Rutgers’ 16th
1961 - Leland G. Merrill, Jr. became third
1962 - Richard H. Merritt named as director
of resident instruction and associate dean.
1963 -- Five hundred acres of federal land
at the former Camp Kilmer was given to Rutgers. The idea of
the federated college system was born --
a number of “multipurpose” liberal arts colleges
would comprise Rutgers’ undergraduate teaching system
in New Brunswick. The Rutgers College of Arts and Science,
Douglass College, and University Colleges already existed.
The university proposed a new college, Livingston College,
emphasizing people and their urban environments on the Kilmer
site in Piscataway, plus two other future colleges.
1964 - The Green Print is first published
as the official news magazine of the College of Agriculture,
producing four issues per year. In 1973 it
became the official Cook College newspaper and begins publishing
1965 - Name changed from College
of Agriculture to College of Agriculture and Environmental
Science (C.A.E.S.) C.A.E.S. was the first land-grant
institution to use the word “environment (al)”
in its title -- later to be followed by many land-grant institutions
in the country.
1965-1981 - The
Federated College System: There were now five
colleges in the federated system, Rutgers, Douglass, Livingston,
Cook, and University Colleges.
1967-1970 - Evolution
of Cook College.
1968 - Helyar
House cooperative living group opens.
1971 - Leland Merrill resigned as dean of
Dr. Charles Hess was appointed acting dean.
1971 - Dr. Mason Gross stepped down as president,
Dr. Edward Bloustein was named the new president.
Dean Charles Hess, Dick Merritt and John Gerwig from C.A.E.S.
met with the new president before he ever arrived on campus
to discuss the new Cook College. Cook College was approved
by the Provost’s cabinet and the President’s cabinet
on November 8, 1971, and by the Board of Governors on November
1972 - Dr. Charles Hess is selected as the
first dean of Cook College.
Richard Merritt continues as director of
resident instruction and associate dean; plus for 1973-74
dean of operations; and 1974 named as dean of instruction.
1972 - Food Science Building dedicated.
1973 - The first class of Cook College
students matriculated in the fall.
New departments in human ecology and social science, and the
humanities and communications were added to the college.
1973 - Roger Locandro named to head the
student life programs at Cook College.
- Cook acquires Woodbury Hall as a freshman
- Newell Apartments built for upperclassmen.
- Cook Office Building on Dudley Road built.
1974 - First Cook College Commencement --
previously Rutgers held a single university commencement encompassing
all colleges and campuses in a R.U. Stadium event.
- Cook / Douglass Gym built.
- Cook/C.A.E.S. Alumni Association established,
George Van Der Noot named president.
- Cook Parent’s Association formed.
1975 - Grant Walton becomes Dean.
Richard Merritt continues as Dean of Instruction.
1976 - “Save the Puddle” campaign
-- Students initiated a campaign to restore the eroding shore-line
of Passion Puddle -- raised $75,000 that was used to drain,
re-contour the shoreline, and place rip-rap along the embankments.
In the long run, it was not a successful solution.
1977 - Voorhees Hall built -- part of “housing
1978 - Cook
Campus Center opens.
1979 - Starkey Apartments built.
1980 - N.J. Agricultural Experiment Station
1981 - Rutgers
move towards centralization.
- Cook College becomes a professional school
and continued as a complete educational unit.
- Roger Locandro named dean of students
of Cook College.
- Cook acquires Nicholas Hall as a freshman
dorm in place of Woodbury.
1983 - George Nieswand named acting dean
1985 - Steve Kleinschuster becomes dean
Ian Maw named dean of instruction.
1986 - Official title of the “Dean”
changed from Dean and Director to Executive Dean for Agriculture
and Natural Resources, Executive Director of NJAES and Dean
of Cook College.”
- Perry Hall dormitory is dedicated.
- Passion Puddle was saved again. It was
drained, totally re-contoured, and the shoreline stabilized
mainly with aquatic plantings. Geese and duck activities
have threatened the success of these plantings.
1986 - Cook College
Vision 21 / Strategic Plan was developed
and adopted. Resulted in $100 million in new buildings, including:
the Natural Resources building, CAFT addition, Foran
Hall, Marine and Coastal Sciences, and the NJAES
Research Greenhouse Complex.
1987 - Mark Schulman named dean of instruction.
1988 - Lee Schneider becomes dean of students.
1988 - Addition to Cook Campus Center, multipurpose
room, etc., built.
1989 - Natural Resource building built.
- Nabisco wing – Center for Advance
Food Technology (CAFT) -- added to Food Science.
- Daryl Lund named acting executive dean.
1990 - Daryl Lund appointed executive dean.
- Arthur Edwards becomes dean of instruction.
- Recreation Center addition, including
a pool and racquet -ball courts, built.
1992 - Louis Iozzi named dean of instruction.
1992 - Ian Maw named dean of academic and
1992 – NJAES Greenhouse complex on
College Farm Road built.
1993 – Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences
1994 - Log Cabin Alumni Pavilion built by
Cook/C.A.E.S. Alumni Association.
1995 - Foran Hall is dedicated and Chang
Library is named.
Tim Casey becomes acting executive dean.
1996 - Bruce Carlton appointed executive
2000 - Expansion of Foran Hall
Final renovations of Newell Apartments completed.
2001 - Ian Maw appointed acting executive
2002 - Soji Adelaja becomes executive dean.
Mike Hamm and later, Tim Casey,
named as dean of academic and student programs. Karyn
Malinowsky named dean of outreach and extension.
Keith Cooper named dean of research and graduate
2003 - Keith Cooper named acting executive
This timeline is a work in progress. Additions or corrections
are requested. Contact:
Roy H. DeBoer
Updated November 10, 2003
For more information, contact Cook
Last Updated: 3/1/05
© Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All