up your AESOP email using Microsoft Outlook 2007
Step 1. Open Microsoft Outlook and click TOOLS, then ACCOUNT SETTINGS...
Step 2. Click the NEW button if you are adding a new account from scratch. If you are simply changing your existing Outlook settings, click CHANGE and skip ahead to Step 5.
Step 3 : Check the checkbox next to MANUALLY CONFIGURE SERVER SETTINGS OR ADDITIONAL SERVER TYPES, and click NEXT to continue.
Step 4: Make sure INTERNET E-MAIL is selected and click NEXT to continue.
Step 5 :
- In the YOUR NAME field, enter your full name as you would want others to see it, such as "Jane Smith"
- In the E-MAIL ADDRESS field, enter your AESOP e-mail address, e.g. email@example.com
- In the ACCOUNT TYPE field, choose either POP3 or IMAP. POP3 downloads the messages to your PC and deletes them from the server. This is the standard configuration for users with one PC in one office. If you have a reason to want to keep messages on the server, for instance if you have multiple offices and check mail from multiple computers, you may want to choose IMAP. Consult your local computer support personnel for details.
- The Incoming mail server should read pop.aesop.rutgers.edu if you are using POP3 or imap.aesop.rutgers.edu if you are using IMAP.
- The Outgoing mail server (SMTP) should read mail.aesop.rutgers.edu
- Under Logon Information , enter your AESOP username and password.
Click the MORE SETTINGS button to continue.
Step 6. In the box that appears, choose the tab labeled OUTGOING SERVER, and check the box next to MY OUTGOING SERVER (SMTP) REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION. Make sure the radio button next to USE SAME SETTINGS AS MY INCOMING MAIL SERVER is also checked.
Step 7. On the same screen, click on the ADVANCED tab. Check the box next to THIS SERVER REQUIRES AN ENCRYPTED CONNECTION. The port number next to the incoming server should change automatically to 995 (for POP3) or 993 (for IMAP). Under the OUTGOING SERVER section, change the USE THE FOLLOWING TYPE OF ENCRYPTED CONNECTION to SSL. Change the outgoing port to 465. Moving the SERVER TIMEOUTS slider all the way to the right (10 minutes) is also recommended. Click OK to close this screen.
Step 8. This should return you to the main settings screen, click NEXT to continue.
Step 9. Click FINISH to save changes.
That should be it. If you have any problems, please contact your local computing support personnel or Karl Lindauer at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 848/932-4116.